This drink goes well with a meal. The asafetida and ginger in it aid digestion. This recipe makes 4 glasses.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 4 glasses of slightly sour buttermilk (subsitute buttermilk with 2 glasses yoghurt and 2 glasses chilled water)
- 1 tbsp vegetable/sunflower/canola oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 10-15 curry leaves
- 2″ piece of ginger grated fine
- 1/2 tsp asafetida
- 2 green chillies chopped fine
- Salt to taste
- A handful of finely chopped corainder leaves
Put the buttermilk/yoghurt, ginger, green chillies, 5 curry leaves chopped finely, coriander and salt to taste into a food processor and blend well.
In a small pan heat the oil. When it is hot add the mustard seeds. They will splutter. When this happens add the remaining curry leaves and asafetida. Remove from the fire in another 30 seconds.
Add this to the buttermilk mixture and mix well.
Serve in glasses.